Thursday, May 19, 2005

Brooks Hits the Nail on the Head

Just so you don't think I hate everything in the New York Times, I must point out that David Brooks' column on the Newsweek "toiletgate" controversy is right-on. The issue isn't Newsweek, it is radical Islam.

As a number of commentators have pointed out, and as I failed to do in my own take on the thing a few days ago, Muslims rarely get so excercised when their co-religionists show disrespect for other religions--as when the Taliban destroyed ancient Buddhist statues, or when Palestinian mobs desecrated Joseph's Tomb on the West Bank or the Church of the Nativity in Bethelehem in 2002.
I'd like to get the press coverage off Newsweek, and onto that. (It's not happening, of course, but I'd still like it.) However lousy the Newsweek coverage, the ultimate issue is that wacko Islamic mobs exploited that lousy coverage. Brooks is right--they're the real enemy.