Saturday, September 10, 2005

The Geraldo Beef

I know, I know, I'm late on Geraldo Rivera's beef against the New York Times. Hey, I was out of town! Gimme a break. Anyway, a few observations:

1. Like a lot of people, I do not much care for Geraldo Rivera. He showboats too much for my taste. I always found it a bit odd that Fox hired him in the first place. No, I'll amplify that: I don't like the guy.

2. Observation No. 1 is of no relevancy whatsoever, which bring us to...

3. ... which is that the Times screwed this guy, and he deserves a correction. If they don't give him a correction, he should sue the bastards.

Times reporter Alessandra Stanley, one of whose lesser gaffes I previously noted, flat-out lied about Geraldo. She said he "nudged an Air Force rescue worker out of the way so his camera crew could tape him as he helped lift an older woman in a wheelchair to safety."

Hey, I saw the tape. Who hasn't? Fox has broadcast the damn thing constantly. What Stanley reported is not true. I call it a "lie" because anyone who has seen the tape knows it is not true.

I hope Geraldo sues the Times and collects bigtime. This is an arrogant newspaper, as I have pointed out repeatedly. It is arrogant when it comes to bigshots like Geraldo and it is arrogant in its bias and inaccuracies. It arrogantly appoints a do-nothing Empty Suit as "public editor" and, most importantly of all, it arrogantly ripped off this blog!

Geraldo is no saint--as I said, I don't like the guy. He is not the perfect adversary of the Times. But he is 100% in the right.

UPDATE: The Chicago Tribune's Phil Rosenthal notes that Stanley has made some serious goofs in the past. Sounds like a case for the Empty Suit! (yeah, right...)
UPDATE 9/16: Geraldo threatens suit! Stick with it, guy.