Friday, October 14, 2005

TIME Sanitizes Farrakhan

Just when you thought that this old, wretched bigot had slithered away for good, the noxious anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan is back, courtesy of TIME Online, in an item posted tonight.

As befits the end of the baseball season, it seems to be softball time at TIME, with the magazine's brain-dead editors lobbing softball after softball at the double-talking Farrakhan, with the latter eagerly portraying himself as misunderstood and as meek as a lamb.

One "highlight" of the TIME-Farrakhan puke-fest was the following spin on Farrakhan's storied Jew-baiting:

TIME: You've made statements regarding Judaism that many found polarizing. What are your thoughts on that now?

Farrakhan: No matter what I have said to refute that, I have never been allowed the privilege to allow my reputation to recover. Even when I've explained what I said and what I meant. I'm not afraid to stand up to what I say. And I know what I said and I did not say what they accuse me of saying.

And that's that. No follow-up from TIME's "journalists."

Just to be sure we're all on the same planet as this gently-handled hate-spewer and his friends at TIME, let's refresh our memory by glancing back some of Farrakhan's most recent ravings, courtesy of the ADL:

“I heard from a very reliable source that under that [New Orleans] levee there was a 25 foot hole, which suggested that it may have been blown up, so that the water would destroy the black part of town, and where the whites lived, it would be dry.”

“Listen, Jewish people don’t have no hands that are free of the blood of us. They owned slave ships, they bought and sold us. They raped and robbed us. If you can’t face that, why you gonna condemn me for showing you your past, how then can you atone and repent if somebody don’t open the book with courage, you don’t have that, but I’ll be damned, I got it.”

Mind you, this is from just his last few month's blatherings, and this guy has been spewing hate for decades.

If TIME were even the slightest bit responsible, it wouldn't go anywhere near this lunatic. Instead it gave one of the nation's leading bigots a podium, and an unchallenged opportunity to lie about his views and his record. This has to count as one of the must disgusting travesties of journalism I've seen in a long time. And I've seen plenty, believe me.