Monday, November 21, 2005

Krugman: Get Out of Iraq Because I Say So

I don't read Paul Krugman's column very much for a variety of reasons. Today I rediscovered why I don't.

His column today (unavailable except to lucky Times Select subscribers) basically is an anti-war polemic that, reduced to its essentials, says as follows: "The U.S. should get out of Iraq because I say so."

The title is "Time to Leave." OK. Why? What new evidence do you have or new arguments can you make, Paulie old boy?

OK.... let's see:

"A solid majority of Americans now believe that we were misled into war." You read it here first!

". . .the war is also destroying America's moral authority." Goodness, where does he come up with all these original ideas? (This one is my fave. The U.S. has always been so beloved across the globe! Some people actually believe that.)

"Pessimists think that Iraq will fall into chaos whenever we leave. If so, we're better off leaving sooner rather than later." That makes sense. Better to have that heart attack today, pop. Eat eggs!

It goes on like that. One tired argument after another. Krugman provides no analysis worth mentioning, quotes not a single person. I mean, zilch. And they say blogs are superficial. Hell, at least we try to say something new.

Speaking of which, I apologize for not doing that. Plenty of people have written about how Krugman stinks on ice, so I guess this item isn't saying much that's new.